Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
ArcGIS Online & Story Maps Handouts
What is GIS?
GIS stands for Geographic Information System. A GIS is a computer system for the management, analysis, and display of geographic data.
Benefits of an Online Map
Online maps are dynamic! What makes them so great?
- You can ask it questions—can’t do that with paper maps
- You can do analysis and comparisons, either spatial or temporal
- Easy layering
- Easy projection and changes of projection
- Change scale, features, colors, symbols and the way data is classified
Six Steps to Creating a Story Map
The following steps are form Esri's Story Map website. For more details visit this website: http://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/how-to/.
- Decide what story you want to tell.
- Assemble your content.
- Create your map(s).
- Configure your storytelling app.
- Refine your story.
- Publish your story.