Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is GIS?
GIS stands for Geographic Information System. A GIS is a computer system for the management, analysis, and display of geographic data.
Benefits of an Online Map
Online maps are dynamic! What makes them so great?
- You can ask it questions—can’t do that with paper maps
- You can do analysis and comparisons, either spatial or temporal
- Easy layering
- Easy projection and changes of projection
- Change scale, features, colors, symbols and the way data is classified
Steps to Creating a Story Map
The following steps are adapted form Esri's Story Map website. For more details visit this website: http://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/how-to/.
- Get ideas! Get Inspired!
- Decide what story you want to tell.
- Choose a Story Map application template.
- Assemble your content.
- Follow the instructions for the app you chose.
- Refine your story.
- Publish your story.