Purpose of the Article:
Why was the article written?
Type of Journal
- To persuade
- To inform
- To prove something
Organization & Content
- Scholarly Journal: high quality research reviewed by experts in the field. (Peer-review)
- Trade Magazine: topics in business or economic data
- Is material organized and focused?
- Is argument or presentation understandable?
- Is this original research, a review of previous research
Date of Article
- Left/Liberal? OR Right/Conservative? Center?
- An alternative press? OR Political action (PAC) group?
- Up‐to‐date, Out‐of‐date, Timeless
- Identifies resources consulted appropriate for the content.
- Is it selective or is it comprehensive
- Primary sources and/or secondary sources only
- Is the citation style clear and consistent?
- Is the article relevant to the current research project?
- Support an argument ‐Refute an argument
- Includes survey results, primary research finding, case studies
- Author(s) and/or publisher(s) credentials verifiable.
- Expert in this field? Where employed? Other writings?
- Comprehensively, partially, or provide an overview?
- Specialists. Researchers or scholars Students
- Charts, graphs, maps, photographs used to illustrate concepts
- Relevant, clear and professional‐looking?